Yayyyy finally sharing all my photos from beautiful Fiji! Fiji was absolutely dreamy and I hope I get the chance to visit again some day. We decided to stop for a week in Fiji on our way back home from Australia, and it was the perfect way to end our trip. It’s a great mix of relaxing on the beach by some of the most turquoise water you’ve ever seen, and doing water sport activities like jet skiing and my favorite, snorkeling. We saw some really cool stuff while we were diving, like a huge group of squid, tons of cute clown fish living in anemones, reef tip sharks, and a huge humphead wrasse.
For this trip, we decided that we wanted to stay at a small, quiet island in Fiji rather than Denarau Island, the largest island where the airport is. Fiji is made up of 330 islands (I know, right??), and we wanted to use our Starwood points for this stay so we ended up going with the Sheraton Tokoriki, on Tokoriki Island. The island is absolutely gorgeous (I’m sure all the islands are), and we loved the resort. The hotel staff were all so sweet and friendly. They learned our names and greeted us with a big smile and “Bula!” (“hello” in Fijian) every morning. One of the women told us we could stay with her at her house if we weren’t ready to leave Fiji yet, and she was so sweet I actually think if we said ok, she would have meant it and let us stay at her house. 😆
Tokoriki is a small island that literally just has two resorts on it (the Sheraton and Tokoriki Island Resort). So I’m not writing a super detailed guide like I do for most of my travel guides, because we pretty much just stayed/ate at the resort and either lied on the beach or did water excursions every day. But here are a few tips/fun activities we did that you should definitely look into if you’re heading to Fiji!
- Getting to Tokoriki. The main airport in Fiji is on Denarau, and if you’re trying to get to Tokoriki Island you’ll need to either take the ferry or hire a private boat. The ferry stops running pretty early (I think around 3pm), so if you’re arriving in the evening like we did, you’ll have to hire a private boat through your hotel, which is pretty expensive. I believe it was ~$300, but we didn’t have any other options unless we wanted to stay in Denarau for the night.
- Cast Away Island. Do an excursion to the island where the movie Cast Away was filmed! Usually you can see Wilson, the volleyball Tom Hanks talks to (lol), but when we went to the island we couldn’t get to that part because Survivor was being filmed there. Also, did anyone else not know that Survivor is STILL going??
- Snorkeling. There’s awesome snorkeling just off the beaches of Tokoriki! At the Sheraton they have a guy on a jet ski and you can hop on a boogie board on the back, and he’ll take you out to where the reef drops off and where the best snorkeling is. It’s not far, but a jet ski ride makes it super easy. We saw some really awesome stuff snorkeling out there, including a giant hump-headed wrasse, a pod of ~20 little squids (they were soo cute!), tons of clown fish, and reef tip sharks.
- Jet Skiing. Jet skiing is another fun water activity that you can book through the hotel. You can go on a jet ski tour where you follow a guy around on ride to a few different islands, including Cast Away Island.
- Cloud 9. We didn’t make it here, but it looks SO fun in the pictures! Cloud 9 is a restaurant/boat out in the middle of Fiji’s turquoise waters where you can go spend a day eating, drinking, and snorkeling.